John J. Cali School of Music: Montclair State University
Montclair, New Jersey
John J. Cali School of Music at Montclair State University
The John J. Cali School of Music was an adaptive re-use project that transformed a former dormitory and classroom building into a state-of-the-art teaching, practice and performance facility. Built in 1928 in the Spanish Mission Style, the building originally known as Chapin Hall served as a dormitory, classroom and departmental office facility. The new project added a 23,00sf, 2-story addition and renovated the original 5-story, 29,000sf structure for a total of 52,000sf. It is the new home of a 250-seat recital hall; teaching studios; music practice and rehearsal rooms; and faculty offices.